Sunday 27 March 2011

First Race Rockingham

Round 1 at Rockingham

First ever competitive track race had the nerves on edge, I was mostly anxious about scrutineering, as I had built everything on my car myself. 
The car has been sat in the garage for almost 2 years whilst I paid for a wedding and house etc. Its been on a couple of track days and Santapod, but nothing serious.

As soon as I turned up (I was actually looking for McDonalds after the 5:30am start) I joined the other cars and gravitated to the other white MR2s;I knew the Chris owned the CTC one, and he has been chatting to me on this forum.

It was soon apparent that my car was not really in the same league in terms of track-readyness, as I still had road tyres, standard brakes and just some trd lower springs... only ever doing drag racing before.

My car failed the noise test, but with help from Baz and Adrian (THANK YOU!!!), and some encouraging advice from other drivers we got the sticker... putting my baffle in, moving my car away from the wall and VERY smoothly getting my engine up to revs I manage to get the 102db (105db originally). Funnily enough, my car was much quieter on track than most, as I still have an internal waste gate etc.

By this time I really was thinking that my car was completely in the wrong class... but class rules really had me firmly in A2 Pro... I have a AFC Neo piggyback controller, and front and rear splitter / diffusers. 

Time for the laps!

I really enjoyed the track, nice power track. 

My times started falling a little as I gained confidence, but I soon reached the limit of my tyres and brakes, and had to recover a couple of tank slappers. (no cones hit though!)

my best time was a 1.38, which im sure i could have improved on, but a few slides towards the wall was threatening to change the colour of my new seat.